Saturday Sampler for 2013
This years there are three choices - Traditional, Fresh and Customised - $35.00 Fee for the year. Mores details later in this page.
HERE THEY ARE, OUR SATURDAY SAMPLER QUILTS FOR 2012 Revealed!!
Colin's Choice .
This is my favourite for this year) Beautifully quilted by Paula Shailer
Patterns $20.00 Kit for setting $140.00
Black and White with a Splash - Pattern $20.00. Kits are available $120.00 (let us know what colour you want your splash to be)
"Espresso 101" - inspired by the great coffee from Espresso 101 just down the road from us. Our brown and cream blocks were set on point in a classic design making quite a large quilt (75" x 75"). We had this quilted by Jenny Allen and it is really lovely. This is available as a pattern ($20.00) or a kit ($120.00).
"Hot Spots" - our customised choice for 2011 was a really bright print. We have set the blocks together using another Quilt as you Go method using a sew and flip technique. We have appliqued bright spots on the border and made a pieced binding for this quilt. The pattern is $20.00.
You can choose from any of the three settings for this year - or even from our previous patterns.
SATURDAY SAMPLER STARTS AGAIN ON THE 14th February 2013
We have been running Saturday Sampler at The Cloth Shop for eleven years now (see story below) - it works this way.
For 2012 we are again offering our Saturday Sampler as a mail and E mail option. It will work this way:-
- You choose the colorway and which option you would like to make your Saturday Sampler and pay the fee of $35.00.
- Come to the Shop on the second Saturday in February and pick up your first block instructions and the fabric to make your block.
- Make up the Block during the month
- Come back to the shop on the second Saturday in March and show us your finished block and pick up your second block
- As long as we see you have made up your blocks each month there is no extra charge after you pay the initial $35.00
- If you don't come and show us your finished block and don't let us know that you can't come there will be a charge of $6 to rejoin the Saturday Sampler programme.
- We will have Revealing Day on the Second Saturday in November - we will have all the blocks made up into quilts. Patterns and Kits will be available for all the designs.
- You Choose which option you would like to make your Saturday Sampler. The Colour Choices and description of the options are featured below.
- Let us know your choice and pay the fee of $35.00 plus postage and packaging charges of $12.00
- On the Monday following the second Saturday of February we will send you the first block.
- During the Month you will make the Sampler block up and then email us a photo of your finished block before the second Saturday in March. We will post you the next blocks on the Monday after the second Saturday.
- It would be great if you could attend Revealing Day but if that is not possible we will have the photos of the finished quilts on our web site and the patterns and kits will be available.
Customised - you choose your own feature fabric from any of the fabrics we have here at the Cloth Shop and also your background. We choose the coordinates for you.
Fee for Customised is $35.00 (Saturday Sampler Fee) plus the price of the feature fabric, as you will take that home to use in your Saturday Sampler block each month. We haven't chosen ours yet.
The story behind The
Cloth Shop Saturday Samplers
The second Saturday in each month is our Saturday Sampler
day. We started the programme in 2001 and over the last ten years over 3000
women have taken up the challenge to participate.
When we first started the programme, we waited in
trepidation to see how many people would turn up. There were a certain number who had
pre-enrolled, but our expectations of the interest this programme would
generate were rather under estimated.
Our target numbers were well exceeded; the shop was full, the classroom
was full, the noise level was amazing and still they kept coming. Everyone was fizzing with excitement and we
kept enrolling and giving out blocks (and frantically cutting more) and this
has continued over the last seven years. Customers
meet up with old acquaintances, have coffee, watch demos of how the block is
sewn and are full of plans as to when (and with whom) they will sew their
blocks. At the end of the first day we'd
had carloads from Masterton, Foxton, Levin, Dannevirke, Marton and Feilding. These
days people come from as far afield as Taupo, Wellington, Napier and Hawera and of course
points much closer to home. We have had
members of quilting groups, mothers and big daughters, mothers and little daughters
(10-12), sisters, friends, and even 3 generations from one family; people who
hadn't quilted at all, some who were renewing their quilting knowledge, others
were doing it to encourage their friends to try quilting.
Each month everyone brings the completed block into the shop
and picks up the next block. Because we
had so many people coming in for the first sampler, we had to rope in
Katherine's husband Colin to mark off the returned and collected blocks. The
ladies loved it when Colin marked their blocks. With great enthusiasm, he
sincerely told each and everyone "this is the best block I've seen", or "I'd
give this one 11 out of 10". After
overhearing the sewing demo about 8 times a day he assures everyone that even he could sew the block!
Over the years we have heard great stories of how much our
customers enjoy making their blocks; each block that came along was the next
new favourite. The carloads that come make it a great day out, morning tea
with us and "doing" lunch afterwards. Over the years we have added new
combinations and some people have made a quilt (even more than one!) every
year. We hear comments such as:
we love all the techniques, I'm learning so much, I love the
colours, I make my block the minute I go home, the day is so neat, I love my
country blocks but now I wished I'd done the black, I love my black but now I
want to do the bright, etc, etc!
In November we reveal the finished quilts We set the blocks into different settings and
sizes and have patterns and kits for each one.
We marvel at how different they look and can't wait to show them off!!
We hope this story will inspire you
to think about doing a Saturday Sampler.
The Cloth Shop Girls
To join us in 2012 click here